welcome

just your average korean-born, french-speaking, minnesota-based jew, sharing my thoughts about anything and everything that piques my interest. please post comments/critiques/questions, i need feedback. oh and there probably won't actually be a whole lot of asian or jewish content. go figure.

6/28/2010

World Cup Update

Apologies for the lack of posts, I figure it's time to share my thoughts about the Cup so far.

Team USA:
Exceeded my expectations, but ultimately underachieved. I thought Bradley coached a good tournament (Findley and Clark's inclusion in the starting 11 vs. Ghana aside), but our back line lacked quality and I think we missed Charlie Davies sorely. Deserved a win vs. Slovakia, but simply did not play well enough against Ghana. Personnel issues aside, the psychological preparation apparently was insufficient/ineffective as we never looked hungry out of the gates.

Referees:
Excruciatingly painful. Far too many games have been dominated by card-happy, nit-picky, ticky-tacky refs that are so intent upon 'cleaning up the game' that there is no opportunity for flowing soccer. This is to say nothing of the absolutely appalling blown calls that have cost teams dearly, which simply goes to show that video replay needs to happen. I won't get into that, but I think everyone is starting to realize the need for a solution.

Predictions:
I see Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, and Portugal in the semifinals, with Brazil ultimately taking down Argentina in an all-South American final. So yes, that means Spain will choke in the Round of 16. I would normally like to see the Netherlands progress as I usually like their style, but the Oranje haven't done much for me yet in terms of attractive and flowing football. I'd actually love to see the young speed demons of Deutschland get through, but I can't see them out-gunning Argentina (especially as Messi seems to be finding form). Portugal over Uruguay in the 3rd place game as Ronaldo hits his stride too late.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment